Re: dedicated server process memory usage ....

  • From: jo_holvoet@xxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 09:13:59 +0200

On Solaris, take a look at "pmap -x <pid>". This will tell you which parts
of the memory reported to the process are shared or private.

mvg/regards

Jo

"Pampati, Sree" <Sree.Pampati@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
06/07/2004 15:42
Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        dedicated server process memory usage ....

Hi,

How is memory allocated to a dedicated server process ?   I just opened a
sqlplus connection ( no SQL fired!),  did ps -elf | grep <pid> on the
server pid, which   showed  sz: 592M,  RSS: 558.    There are about 800
server  processes running  at that time ( the box has 10G physical mem, of
which about 2GB  was free  at that time.  Solaris 8 .  Oracle version
:9.2.0.4 ).

*_area_size parameters in init.ora  are : bitmap_merge_area_size = 1048576
    (1MB)
 create_bitmap_area_size= 8388608    (8MB)
                                                            hash_area_size
              = 4194304     (4MB)
                                                            sort_area_size
               = 2097152     (2MB)

Oracle 10gAS and 9iAS too are running on the box in addition to the oracle
instance.

Is this a good candidate for MTS ?    Do I get substantial benefit using
pga_target_aggregate features of 9i ?

I would very sincerely appreciate your valuable feed back ( any pointers
to docs/info are highly appreciated).

Thanks,
Sree Pampati