Re: decision to use or not use an rman catalog?

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Syed Jaffar Hussain" <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:40:33 +0000

is there a bigger risk when using rman in anyway? I do not have tape backups
yet or a SAN. Just using a simple RAID device attached to each box. The
hardware is coming, but no ETA. This project is in its early stages however,
its high profile.

The best I can do for backups is store production in development and
development in production.

Do I need to make seperate backups of the control files since I would be using
RMAN without the recovery catalog?

From: "Syed Jaffar Hussain" <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>

Ryan,

As other already suggested unless you dont concern storing rman scripts and not
borther about the long history of your backups, you can have rman w/o.
By the default control file record time is 7 days, if you wish, you can modify
the parameter to have longer history, in this case, you control file grows in
size.

Jaffar
On 2/27/07, ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
We have 1 development box, 1 test database, and one production database all
about 10 GBs each. I am the sole Oracle person on the team. My background is
more on the developer side than DBA side.

I was considering using RMAN without a recovery catalog to handle backups. Is
there much risk in this? Other than multiplexing control files and backing them
up what other precautions should I take? We don't have a tape or offsite backup
system in place yet either. Hoping to get one soon.

I want to keep this rather simple.

--
Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain

"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."