RE: concepts document part about separating indexes and tablespaces

  • From: "Pratap Singh (c)" <psingh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mary_mcneely@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 11:09:16 -0700

Mary,
This process is part of on going changes.
I still remember the day when a 64GB striped/mirrored array was thrown at me
when I was looking for 3 logical volumes for my data / index / logs.
Yes I was adamant enough to reject the layout at first glance and took about
a week to test and appreciate the performance.
But on the other side it was 1995 if I remember correctly.
Coming back to the point, what was once a ground rule is not applicable any
more.
Multiple combination offered by SAN / Disk array makes data index separation
obsolete.
Unless of course if you are supporting some old hardware/software with no
RAID etc.

Thanks,
PB Singh
DW Architect and Sr Data Modeler