Re: cluvfy -verbose not very verbal

  • From: "Ethan Post" <post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:16:45 -0500

A little update.

* During CRS install we could not get past screen to verify public node and
private network even though ssh worked well in all tests. The reason appears
to have been the rsh was not configured. I am not sure if this is spelled
out in the docs. I know it says you need rsh if you don't have ssh but
having to set up rsh even though ssh was working was a surprise.

* Doing the above still did not fix the cluvfy tests. Apparently the
executable bits were not set on the version of cluvfy we downloaded. At
first I thought it was because I unzip the .zip file on windows and ftp'd to
server thus losing the x bit, but I just did it on the server using jar -xf
which I would think preserves the bits and it is still set to read/write. So
perhaps they zipped these files up on a windows server, that is my guess.
Once we we set the x bit on exectask.sh we ran the test successfully. The
guy that figured this out used some log files that got generated in /tmp.
Thankfully this guy is brilliant otherwise I am sure I would still be trying
to figure it out.

* Another issue I don't understand is that the documentation clearly says to
set ownership of the crs disk to root and group to oinstall with permissions
set to 640. So read only for oinstall. Well I could not get past the install
screen requesting the crs disk info until I change the permissions to 660
(since I was installing as oracle/oinstall). This seemed obvious to me but I
was expecting the install program to prompt me for root pass but it never
did (using raw devices here on a cybernetics minisan).

I appreciate the help to those that replied. Thanks. This list is
invaluable!

- Ethan