RE: clusterware upgrade question

  • From: Upendra N <nupendra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <eglewis71@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 16:42:55 -0500

I don't believe you can do a rolling upgrade of clusterware until 11.2.0.1.
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17128/chapter1.htm#NEWFTCH1

-Upendra

From: eglewis71@xxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: clusterware upgrade question
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 16:05:32 -0500

Hi,
    I'm getting ready to
upgrade our current cluster
from 10.2.0.4 to 10.2.0.5 (Solaris
64-bit).
The components being upgraded include
clusterware, RAC, ASM, RDBMS , and
Dataguard.

   In regard to the clusterware, we
have a 2 node cluster.
In the patch notes, it states that all Oracle
database instances
on all cluster nodes, must be shut down before
applying the
clusterware patch. Later on in the notes, it states
that a
rolling upgrade for the clusterware can be done.
I'm seeing
conflcting messages here.
     I've done rolling upgrades before with patch sets, but not with an
upgrade.
I've contacted Oracle support about this,but they
were of little help.

    Can the clusterware upgrade be
done in a rolling fashion ?

     In regard to Dataguard. We
have physical standby, 2 - node cluster.
From what I understand, the physical standby should
be upgraded before
the primary database (in this case a cluster). Once
that is done, the
primary environment is then upgraded.
        Does the
primary need to be upgraded at the same time ? Can it
be upgraded a day or a week later ?

    thanks

ed