block size

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:32:46 +0000

so, discussion with DW architect today

"but this isn't OLTP,this is DW, in a datawarehouse you want the biggest
block size you can have".

my question to you (and him)

"why? What's the theory and evidence for this?"

In other words *why* do people think this?  Note I'm specifically not after
pointers to religious wars (entertaining though these are) but to particular
logical arguments. This chap is bright (and like me somewhat loquacious) and
I disagree with him, the resultant discussion could go on a while so I'm
hoping to short circuit it.

Platform is RHEL 4 64bit, 64bit Oracle 11gR1. This is *not* a warehouse with
huge amounts of data (say, 500mb per year).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA