Re: Why is USE_STORED_OUTLINES not an initialization parameter?

  • From: fairlie rego <fairlie_r@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 06:01:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

  I know that this was logged as an enhancement back in version 8.1.7 but as
with many others there has been no progress .......

  Also IIRC the only way to find out if a session is using a stored outline and
its category is using oradebug as illustrated in

https://www.metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=200:27:1182261800065093776::::p27_id,p27_show_header,p27_show_help:613682.992,1,1

  HTH,
  Fairlie

"Schultz, Charles" <sac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      We have begun exploring the use of outlines, and one of the things I
stumbled upon was that you have set "use_stored_outlines". As we discuss this
feature and talk about ramifications, we have discovered that there is a wee
bit of overhead in a shop with many databases. Each time we clone or bounce a
database, we would have to turn outlines back on. Of course, there is the
option of creating a database trigger that does this automagically, but it does
make me wonder why it is not an init parameter. I assume there is a good reason
that Oracle decided on this. Anyone happen to know the details?
  PS - I do realize that this parameter can also have other values besides TRUE
and FALSE. I am hoping to focus this question on the boolean values, however.
Unless the non-boolean values are part of the decision making process.
  charles schultz
oracle dba
aits - adsd
university of illinois