Re: V$active session history

  • From: Dragutin Jastrebic <orahawk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tanel Poder <tanel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 21:12:13 +0100

=>

> Yep, sampling, especially infrequent sampling has its limitations. But the
> problem is not really in V$SESSION itself (where ASH also gets its info
> from internally), but how people *use* it. ASH regularly samples the
> session state objects and even the infrequent short-running queries get
> eventually caught in a sample, so when aggregating ASH data over minutes
> and hours, the query will show up.
>
> V$SESSION tends to (often incorrectly) get used by just glancing at it
> once and assuming that whatever showed up there at that particular point in
> time must be what this problem session is stuck with.

<=

That was my point as well, sometimes DBAs do not use v$session correctly
(for historical reasons probably, because before 10g most people had
v$session_wait as mostly used  and now they have all information joined in
v$session )

A good experience for every DBA is to work at least once on some "near real
time application" such as telecom front-office applications or stock
exchange applications  (and not only on classical ERP /inventory management
applications)

In those environnements you learn to think in terms of these short but
frequently executed queries that easily bring the server up to 60-70% CPU
(even more), while a quick look at v$session shows you only idle sessions.

BTW, it's a pleasure for me to talk to Tanel Poder :-)

Thanks Tanel for all the contribution you are giving to Oracle DBAs
community.

Dragutin