Re: Unable to execute runInstaller

  • From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:26:59 -0600

I'm not sure why, but if I use an IP value that is different than what
shows with the ipconfig command and log in directly as oracle, rather than
su, the runInstaller works. It was a fluke that I found this IP address.
I haven't been able to get it to "pop up" for me again since I saw it the
first time, but it does work. Also xclock/xeyes do not work even though
the installer does. I've never worked in an environment set up like this
before, so it's a bit confusing.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Sandy

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 8:19 AM, Chris Taylor <
christopherdtaylor1994@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You need to make sure "xclock" or "xeyes" works to verify the server is
able to talk to your workstation.

So like this:

- Run Hummingbird Exceed
- open a terminal window
- export DISPLAY=<IPv4_IP_addr>:0.0
- execute xhost +
- open a putty session
- ​RUN xeyes or xclock to verify you can bring up an xwindow
program correctly​

- su to oracle
- export DISPLAY=<IPv4_IP_addr>:0.0
- ​RUN xeyes or xclock again now to verify you can still bring up
an xwindow program correctly​

- change to appropriate directory

I'm going to bet that xeyes/xclock will fail also after you sudo into
oracle but I bet it works correctly prior to you doing the su.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Sandra Becker <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I am trying to install EE 12c. I receive the error
"*Could not execute auto check for display colors using command
/usr/bin/xdpyinfo. Check if the DISPLAY variable is set. Failed* "

My MOS account is still pending for my new employer, so I can't
research/open SR there. I've googled and found several suggestions, none
of which solved my problem. Other DBAs on the team can execute
runInstaller on the same server. What I've tried so far

- Run Hummingbird Exceed
- open a terminal window
- export DISPLAY=<IPv4_IP_addr>:0.0
- execute xhost +
- open a putty session
- su to oracle
- export DISPLAY=<IPv4_IP_addr>:0.0
- change to appropriate directory
- ./runInstaller
- Run Xming (after ensuring configuration through XLaunch)
- open a putty session
- su to oracle
- export DISPLAY=<IPv4_IP_addr>:0.0
- change to appropriate directory
- ./runInstaller

I get the same error with both processes no matter what server I am on.
I have watched another team member execute it on two different servers.

Question:

1. Am I doing something incorrectly in my process? I followed what
the other DBA gave me.
2. Could this be a firewall or account configuration issue specific
to my/my PC?

--
Sandy B.

--