Re: USE_MERGE hint and the correct way to hint

  • From: Nigel Thomas <nigel_cl_thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: contactarul@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 12:29:38 -0800 (PST)

>I played around with changing the order of the tables
>in the FROM clause and in the use_merge hint. It does
>change the order in the plan, but the logical reads come
>to the same.

Arul

A merge join is like a zipper - you take two (sorted) rowsets and read through
both of them concurrently. So (in principle, in a simple case) there's no
difference between merge-joining A to B or merge joining B to A;

I'm intrigued that there's no table access to CUS_ACC. Does that contain only
the ACC_ID column, whose value we can derive from the PK_CUS_ACC index? Or is
it index-organised?

Nigel