Re: Table refresh/sync from an external source on a daily basis.

  • From: David Mann <dmann99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:30:32 -0400

> 4) Oracle Steams ?

I used Golden Gate (before they were swallowed by Oracle) to do this. During
our POC we put Streams up against Golden Gate and for our purposes GG came
out ahead because of performance and (relative) ease of configuration.

We just used the basic features of GG to sync tables between databases so we
could move long running reports queries to a database that was different
than the OLTP system.

Impact was minimal as GG watches the online redo logs for changes to the
tables you are interested in. There was minimal Oracle-specific
configuration required on the source database -- mostly centered around
turning on supplemental logging to make sure required info is available in
the redo logs.

The big Con with GG is monitoring. I had to write some screen scrapers to
keep tabs on the replication processes and do alerting and graphing of lag
times. Maybe things will improve as GG gets more integrated with the Oracle
mainstream but I can share my monitoring and graphing scripts if anyone is
running GG.

If you want something free that does the same thing I have also used Oracle
Change Data Capture which seems to be 'Streams Lite'.

-Dave

--
Dave Mann
www.brainio.us