Streams Pool ORA-4031 Out of streams memory

  • From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:00:36 -0500

Oracle: 10.2.0.4
Linux Redhat 5
2 node rac cluster
2 GBs streams pool in each cluster

There isn't alot on the web about the streams pool. I see references to
datapump and not having any streams pool set,but we have 2 GBs. We use
streams.

Does anyone know how the streams pool works? There has been discussion
about flushing the shared pool. That is a bandaid for lack of bind
variables... we have issues with that, but it wouldn't be in the streams
pool even though the streams pool is part of the shared pool.

Streams pool looks like a buffer for streams. Its used for passing data
back and forth right? So since its a buffer to pass data back and forth, if
you can't keep up you run out of memory. Unlike the Cache for the general
DB data, pmon can't flush to disk because there is no place to put it.

Is that a correct analysis of how the streams pool works? I can't find alot
of details about this. Yeah I know we likely need more memory, but I am
trying to  understand more about how streams works and the streams pool.