Re: Splitting production and development/test at the DBA level?

  • From: "Sandra Becker" <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:06:19 -0700

We had the DBA split at my last employer.  The biggest problems we had were
lack of communication between the two groups, unrealistic expectations
from management, and policies/procedures for each group not clearly defined
and documented.  The split itself was not the problem.

As was mentioned earlier though, I would definitely review the workload for
each group to see if the proposed numbers for each team are appropriate.  We
had a fairly even split--3 production, 4 dev/test.

Sandy

On 12/13/06, Powell, Mark D <mark.powell@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 Splitting of the DBA function is not that uncommon at larger concerns in
the US.  Some places have infrastructure DBA and Application DBA's.  The
infrastructure DBA's install the Oracle software, configure the db,
configure the listener, and monitor the db space usage and overall
performance.  The application DBA creates the Oracle objects in the system
(controlled) test environment and then applies the change scripts in
production.  Sometimes the Application DBA hands the (tested against system
test) scripts off to the Infrastructure DBA or a different Application DBA
to apply the changes to production.  The application DBA's are not members
of the DBA group and do not have the ability to start or stop Oracle.

How well this works is mostly a matter of having and following documented
change control procedures.

-- Mark D Powell --
Phone (313) 592-5148