RE: Shadow Indexes

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kennaim@xxxxxxxxx>, <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:28:03 -0400

Ken,

"Will this change an explain plan as well?"

As well as...?

A nosegment index will (to my knowledge) *only* change an execution
plan.

The whole point of it is to be able to quickly do "what-if" scenarios.

Remember, nosegment literally means there is no segment.  There is no
index structure.  The optimizer sees the data dictionary entry for the
index, but doesn't realize the index isn't really there.  It allows you
to see how adding a specific index would impact the execution plan,
without having to take the time to actually create the index.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak