Re: Sequences and RAC -- Inputs Required

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:07:08 +0100

You may be right. Sequences (and any sequentially
generated data) can cause significant problems with
RAC. If you have created the sequences with default
cache sizes (which is 20), then you are likely to see
lots of SQ enqueue waits, and lots of activity as blocks
in the seq$ table are bounced back and forth across the
interconnect.

Setting a large cache size on the sequence is the first
step.  alter sequence ..... cache 10000.

Depending on the table and tablespace definitions
for your hot tables, you may also have to modify
the freelist settings on the tables, or rebuild the tables
with multiple freelist groups.  If you happen to have
used tablespaces with Automatic Segment Space
Management (ASSM) enabled, then the freelists
and freelist groups are irrelevant.  However, multiple
freelists, and ASSM usually wreck the clustering_factor
on sequential indexes, so if this is an upgrade, don't
be surprised if Oracle starts to ignore some of you

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st