Re: Security Wonks ate my hamster.

  • From: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 09:41:17 -0400

On 3/23/16 8:38 AM, Howard Latham wrote:

Our IT Director has decided only he will have root access to out 4 linux Database Servers . And the password will be held in a safe, Does these mean I can no longer do the administration or Linux / Oracle or does his idea of creating new account solve it?
This happened to me a few years ago and while it was hard to wait for root activities, that's really just a mind set. I just had to build it into the calendar. Sometimes it takes me a week to get root.sh run. It's painful to adjust to, but it was not my call. It's really about a audit trail. We have to log in as our personal account and su to the software owner. Then there's a trail of blame they can follow and there might be some value there, but having had root and not having it is a bit of shock and awe. Try decaf and keep an audit log of your own with timestamps so you can explain what the hold up.

Ray