Re: Removing downloaded Oracle software

  • From: Ian Cary <ian.cary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:16:04 +0100

Slightly off topic but I'd use xargs for this approach e.g.

find $ORACLE_HOME -exec ls -ld {} >>exec_list \;

takes around 3 minutes on a Linux box I have whereas

find $ORACLE_HOME | xargs ls -ld >>xargs_list

produces the same results in 2 seconds

Cheers,

Ian

|         |           pythianbrinsmead@g|
|         |           mail.com          |
|         |           Sent by:          |
|         |           oracle-l-bounce@fr|
|         |           eelists.org       |
|         |           17/05/2009 22:11  |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           pythianbrinsmead  |

  |       To:       cemail_219@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                 |
  |       cc:       oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: Removing downloaded Oracle software

Sometimes a little bit of paranoia can be very healthy.

The simple answer is "rm -rf", as we have heard a few times already.

If you are paranoid (i.e., "careful") you could consider a two stage
approach similar to this:

#  find  /directory/to/be/deleted -exec ls -ld {} \;
#  find  /directory/to/be/deleted -exec rm -f {} \;

The first command lists EVERY file that is doing to be deleted, allowing
you to inspect the list and make sure there is nothing "bad" there.

The second command removes the files.  (Actually, as written, it will
delete ONLY files, not directories, but this should give the idea.)

My preference is to use a command-line editor to change the first command
to the second, as that way I can be sure that the only difference is the
'ls' command versus the 'rm' command.  The thing most likely to kill you is
going to be a mistype in the directory name, after all.  Consider, for
example, the difference between "rm -rf ./*" and "rm -rf . /*" -- the
difference is only a single keystroke.  And a bare-metal recovery.

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 8:34 AM, J. Dex <cemail_219@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am nervous about doing this since it is Linux versus other OS.  What is
the correct command to use to remove a directory and all of the files that
fall under that directory without receiving questions back about whether or
not want to remove various files within the that directory?   In other
words, using the example below, I want to remove the
"directory_to_be_removed" including any files that are in it without having
to respond yes repeatedly?   The directory being removed is actually
downloaded Oracle software from CD (but not the location where the install
of the software itself is actually located at).
/u04/db_files/directory_to_be_removed

Hotmail® goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead  Senior DBA,  The Pythian Group

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government
Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless in
partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) In
case of problems, please call your organisation’s IT Helpdesk.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or
recorded for legal purposes.

For the latest data on the economy and society consult National Statistics at
http://www.statistics.gov.uk

Please Note:  Incoming and outgoing email messages are routinely monitored for
compliance with our policy on the use of electronic communications

Legal Disclaimer  :  Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not
necessarily those of the Office for National Statistics

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure
Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with
MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) On leaving the GSi this
email was certified virus free.