RE: Reinstall sys packages

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <JDunn@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 09:00:44 -0500

I had a problem with a sys package many years ago.  Don't know why it
became invalid but it did and we could not manually compile it.  At the
time I opened a TAR with Oracle on the subject because the package was
wrapped and therefore not something you can troubleshoot.  Anyway, the
support analyst told me very clearly that one can run the basic install
scripts (catalog, catproc, etc...) at anytime without damaging the
database as long as one did it with no users connected to the database.
(duh, that makes sense).  So we did over a night and presto the package
was valid, our problems cleared up and everyone was happy.  Recently I
had another problem with the OLAP package and again files a TAR.  Same
answer, almost verbatim, came back and yes it did fix the problem.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA