Re: Refreshing a multi TB database

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:08:47 -0500

Ram,

I would advocate for a full copy of production in test. Your tests may miss
too much with only a sample of the data.
Also I would advocate creating the test database by recovering a backup
copy. That will validate your backup method, always a worthwhile project.
   There are products that will extract a sample of your data, with
referential integrity. Try www.databee.com.

Dennis Williams

On 3/16/07, Ram Raman <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

We have a huge production database that is currently 2TB and expected to
grow to 3TB soon. We have the corresponding test database that is only a
third of its size and was refreshed a while ago. I would like to see
refreshed data so we can test things more accurately in test DB. * *I am
pressing for more space and better refresh methods, but I want to come up
with some suggestions. Can you please share your opinions on this. Thanks.

Some things I can think of: We have to consider the network bandwidth
between the two servers, the space, the activity in the test DB. Is there
anything else.

Ram.