Recovery -- Can't place tablespace offline ?

  • From: "Prem Khanna J" <jprem@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:57:16 +0900

Hi List,

-------- oracle 9.2.0.4 on win2k --------

I need to try recovery scenario {case 6} in
Freeman's RMAN book. In order to simulate
datafile corruption , i  decided to overwite the
database file with a small text file when the
database is open.

But later in order to recover,i am not able to
place the tablespace ( which had the datafile )
offline. Doing so , i get the error :

ORA-01115 : IO error reading block from file 5 (block #1)
ORA-01110 : datafile 5 : 'd:\indx01.dbf'
ORA-27091 : skgfqio: unable to queue I/O
ORA-27070 : skgfdisp: async read/write failed

1.How do i place the tablespace offline in the above case
  and proceed further with recovery when DB is OPEN ?
  However , I am able to recover when the DB is mounted.

2.How to corrupt a datafile when DB is open other than
   as i did ?

Regards,
Prem.