Re[4]: SQL Language Quick Reference

  • From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Stephen.Lee@xxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:13:40 -0400

Thursday, June 10, 2004, 11:40:14 AM, Stephen.Lee@xxxxxxxx
(Stephen.Lee@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
SLDC> A suggestion for youse guys at O'Reilly:

SLDC> Given the rate at which Oracle keeps cramming in new stuff, I wonder if it
SLDC> would be practical to publish supplements for some books.

I believe we've tried that in the past, but without much
success. Supplements to books are one of those ideas that
sounds good, but that doesn't seem to play out well when you
try to put it into practice.

When 8i came out, Steven Feuerstein wrote an 8i new features
book, which was sort of meant as a supplement to his larger,
Programming PL/SQL book. I believe the motivation for that
book was that we couldn't rev his larger book in a timely
manner. It was reasonably successful, I believe, but not so
much so that we want to do that sort of thing again. Those
sorts of books are once-off items, and we'd rather invest
energy in a book that will last for more than one edition.

I'll be sure to pass on your suggestion though, to the
editor of that supplied packages book. Actually, I'll just
copy her on this note. We were just talking about the book
the other day in fact.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are
http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one
article on Oracle technologies per month by
email. To join, visit http://five.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/oracle-article,
or send email to Oracle-article-request@xxxxxxxxxxx and
include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body.