RULE and partitions

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 12:39:06 -0500

List,
  Does anyone have any experience running OPTIMIZER_MODE=RULE, with some
tables partitioned in Oracle9i?
  I have an application on Oracle 8.1.7.4. The vendor specifies
OPTIMIZER_MODE=RULE. The vendor supports Oracle9i with this version of the
application. I have a lot of data stored in this application. I would like
to upgrade the database to 9i so I could partition some of the large tables
for manageability. I realize that the RBO is not aware of partitions. This
is an OLTP application that uses indexes for all data accesses, so I
wouldn't expect any differences. Eventually the application will be upgraded
to a version that supports CBO, but that will take a couple of years to roll
out. Just looking at what I can do in the meanwhile.

Dennis Williams