RMAN-08138: WARNING

  • From: Michael Schmitt <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:40:45 -0500

Hi All,

I am trying to edit our RMAN scripts to delete archives that have been sent to
tape 3 times.  I am using the following command

delete noprompt archivelog all backed up 3 times to DEVICE type SBT_TAPE;

This works fine in 9i,10g, but in 11g RMAN throws the following error for any
logs that have not been backed up 3 times yet

RMAN-08138: WARNING: archived log not deleted - must create more backups
archived log file name=/backup/SID/arch/SIDlog_2394_713128766_1.ARC thread=1
sequence=2394

It is not that big of a deal, but it causes our script to send out an email
since it thinks it is an actual error.  Does anyone know of a work around that
will cause Oracle to act like 10g and not throw the warning message?  Otherwise
I will just edit the error handling of our backup script

Thanks in advance