RE: RMAN duplicate only used blocks?

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx" <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:10:53 -0700

I've never heard of such a feature, but would also be interested to hear if
someone else knows about it.  I'm guessing maybe the person that mentioned this
to you was just confused about the fact that RMAN will only write used blocks
to the backup set, but when it restores the backup, it fills in those unused
blocks again.  I'm pretty sure that duplicate works exactly the same as a
regular restore - it just automates the other stuff for you like creating the
controlfile, renaming datafiles, setting the new DBID, etc.  I agree that it
sounds like you'll need to use data pump, unless maybe there is only a subset
of tablespaces that you need - then you could use transportable tablespaces
just for those, and you can use RMAN to create the transportable tablespaces if
required to avoid downtime in the source database.

Regards,
Brandon