Re: RMAN duplicate database without connect to source

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:38:41 -0700

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 12:18 PM, dba1 mcc <mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We have ORACLE database 10GR2 and 11G on Linux.  We plan to clone database
> using RMAN from source server to target server.  The way we want is transfer
> RMAN backup and archive logs to target server and duplicate it (change DB
> name).
>
> We don't want connect to source database using SQLnet and AUX to perform
> duplicate.  Does anyone have procedure how to do it?

So as to avoid confusion you may wish to become more familiar with RMAN
terminology.

Unfortunately the documentation on this can be a little confusing at times.

auxiliary database:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E14072_01/backup.112/e10642/glossary.htm#insertedID15
target database:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E14072_01/backup.112/e10642/glossary.htm#CHDJFJHA
source database:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E14072_01/backup.112/e10642/glossary.htm#CHDGDEBC

Your use of *target* however in the context of RMAN is incorrect.
Source and Target are the same thing, almost.
*Target *is referred to as the database you are connecting to with RMAN.
*Source *is used to refer to the target when it is bing duplicated to an
auxiliary database.

What *target* is not is the database being created - that is the
*auxiliary*database.

If I've mucked this up somehow, corrections are welcome.

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com