RMAN backups not getting deleted

  • From: "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-db-l" <oracle-db-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 07:44:37 -0400

I have one database for which we are taking cold RMAN backups.  My
recovery windows is set for 49 days.  In this database, when I run "
delete noprompt expired backup" and "delete force obsolete" it does not
delete any backups.  I can not run crosscheck since once the backups are
completed, we run a OS backup to tape and delete the disk copy.  Other
databases for which we do backups in archivelog mode work fine.  Any
ideas as to why these old backups are not getting purged?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113