RMAN backup from standby/Split Mirror

  • From: max scalf <oracle.blog3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 10:59:45 -0600

Hello all,

I am trying to nail down some steps for doing RMAN backup from a Split
Mirror(BCV) and have couple of question.  The DB size is about 65TB in size
and this is a pretty busy database, around 25-30 Switches per hour(we have
16 redo logs with 2 member each and size of 4GB).  Current way of backup
was do a bcv split(put tablespace in backup mode), mount the split on
another server and backup everything.  But we are moving towards RMAN and
hence the need to change our backup procedure as well.

Lets assume i have Production Server called Prod and then lets call this a
Clone server(Clone) and my Recovery catalog server called RCAT.

I have read MOS Doc ID:302615.1(RMAN and Split Mirror Disk Backup), From
what i understand here are the steps.

   1. Register production database with RCAT
   2. Make all your RMAN config changed(and keep autobackup of control file
   to off)
   3. On Production server Put the database in Hot Backup Mode
   4. Then we Take a Split from Production Server
   5. We mount that split on to the Clone server
   6. on clone server we do "Startup mount;"
   7. on clone server we do "alter database end backup"
   8. on clone server we do "recover database using backup controlfile
   until cancel" --> followed by Cancel
   9. on clone server we do "Backup database plus archivelog delete input"
   10. on clone server we connect to RCAT and do "resync catalog"
   11. Once above step is done we connect to production server
   12. connect to RCAT from production server and backup controlfile and
   then resync catalog
   13. at this point the production database should be able to see my
   backup if i do "list backup"

on to my questions.

   - First of all, are the steps listed above correct?  if not, what have i
   missed.
   - We are planning on doing archive log backup from the production
   server, so question is if we are doing RMAN backup from Clone server and
   that is going to take a while to backup(lets assume 8-10 hours or so), in
   the mean time we got about 200-300 archive log generated at the production
   server and if we back those up.  Do we connect to the recovery catalog for
   that or not?
   - if we connect to the catalog while doing archive log backup (from
   production server), then would i not run into error "RMAN-20035: Invalid
   High recid" when i connect from clone server to RCAT(step 10) to do a
   resync and then another resync from RCAT to production(step 12) ?
   - how would i perform maintenance task on this(delete obsolete backup)
   and technically backup piece is not available to production server?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.