RMAN Backup and Recovery strategy document

  • From: "Hallas, John, Tech Dev" <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:26:09 +0100

I have written a paper which details a testing plan to prove that RMAN
backups are working and that a recovery can be made using the backups.
It is a strategy which has been used many times, on a number of systems
prior to go-live and seems to provide an organised and structured method
for testing individual database backups.

The key understanding is that it is not meant to ensure that RMAN
functionality works and is usable. That has already been accepted. It is
just to ensure that we have proof that individual databases can be
recovered when they have been backed up using RMAN.

It can be downloaded from http://www.hcresources.co.uk/misc.shtml

John