RLIMIT_CORE set to 0

  • From: msanjeevk <sanjeevorcle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 11:09:03 -0700

Oracle Linux Server release 6.2
Linux my_hostname 2.6.32-300.3.1.el6uek.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 9 18:57:35
EST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

We have custom software (non-oracle) being used to manage our imaging
system.When process crashes core dump was not getting generated. I've asked
our unix admin to make coredump value unlimited for the userid that is
running server process, log out and relogin and double checked with ulimit
command and it showed:

 ulimit -a
*core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited*
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 128505
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 1024

From same shell prompt started process and it still did not generate core
dumps on the subsequent crash has following message in logfile:
Process 2504(cumulusd) has RLIMIT_CORE set to 0
Aborting core

wondering what iam missing here.

Regards,
Sanjeev.