RE: RE: Recovery Help?

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:35:29 -0400

The file in question appears from its naming to be an index tablespace. =
 If
this is true you can remove the index tablespace data files from Oracle =
via
an alter database, run recovery, use the dictionary to extract the =
source (also get FK, PK, UK definitions), drop the tablespace including
contents, recreate the tablespace, and manually recreate the indexes =
from
the generated scripts.

We have done this but you need to be able to recover all the data data
files, system, and rbs for this to be a useful option.

Oracle has a utility that can read raw data files and extract data, but =
believe you have to hire support to get this.  But as the database is =
or
maybe was a production db this might be a necessity.

Even a firm too small to afford a full time DBA should hire part-time =
DBA
support.  Someone who logs in once a week and verifies that the hot =
backups
and exports are 1- running and 2- appear successful and 3- makes a =
quick
check of the system for space utilization.

You would think the system administrators would have detected this =
problem.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell --