RE: RE: Index-Organized Table experiences

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:20:35 -0400

From the Oracle version 9.2 Concepts manual >>
 Ch 10 section Secondary Indexes on Index-Organized Tables -
Oracle constructs secondary indexes on index-organized tables using logical
row identifiers (logical rowids) that are based on the table's primary key.
A logical rowid optionally includes a physical guess, which identifies the
block location of the row. <<

Secondary indexes contain a logical rowid in version 9+.  Oracle looks for
row at or near indexed logical rowid.  If it finds it great.  If it does not
find the row then the primary index structure is searched using the PK.

Hope this clears up any confusion caused by my reply.  The manual contains
more details of exactly what Oracle does and the cost of stale guesses.

-- Mark D Powell --