RE: RAT fully backported to 10g and 9iR2...

  • From: David Mann <dmann99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:35:16 -0400

JEREMY.SHEEHAN wrote:
>we've looked into it. we've got a 9i DB that needs upgrading and we're
>considering going to 11g, but it's just expensive. the good thing is that
you
>can 'move the license around' if needed. if one of our BU's purchases it,
uses
>it, no longer needs it (for a project) it can be moved around to another db
and
>so on....

Would love to use it but we have been told that we need to license specific
machines and could not move licenses around.
Got a citation for being able to move the licenses around? We have requested
that scenario exactly from our account reps and they are hemming and hawing
at working with us.

They want us to license 10X the cores we think should be licensed. For us 1
Prod/Test machine pair at a time would be 24 cores max. We just don't
upgrade that often (or have the manpower) to involve more than 1 project at
a time.

So it looks pretty good for a new tool. Comparing it to the usual upgrade
scenarios I have seen I can see a great benefit from being able to record
and play back a production load. Most projects I have seen throw LoadRunner
scripts that trace 3-4 paths through the system and make sure they run OK on
the target environment but there are always a ton of other SQL to tune once
users start logging in and doing 'real work'.

-Dave

--
Dave Mann
www.brainio.us