Re: RAC storage options

  • From: Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:52:01 -0400

NFS is the best option from an administrative perspective for RAC
clusters, but tragically, Oracle only supports two platforms:  EMC
Celerra and Netapp Filer.  I say this with all love and respect for
EMC, but the Celerra is a dog of a product.  Which leaves the filer -
Netapp has a pretty wide range of sizes, both capacity and performance.

Any SAN vendor is supported, but you end up with a lot more complexity
and having to deal with multiple software products interacting
(clustered volume manager, clustered file system, cluster server,
etc.).  Certain cluster server options - for example, Veritas Advanced
Cluster for RAC, have much more specific/limited supported
configurations in terms of storage.

There's a lot of variables here - you can feel free to contact me
off-list if you would like to talk further.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito