Re: RAC gv$session

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:40:42 -0700

SID and SERIAL# are not guarenteed unique across instances.  INST_ID is the
last part of that implied primary key, for all GV$ views.  Look at
V$FIXED_VIEW_DEFINITION

The data for each instance, including memory-based V$ views like V$SESSION,
is maintained solely within that instance.  When necessary, those GV$ views
are populated using cross-instance queries via parallel execution ³slave²
(i.e. ³ora_pXXX_SID²) processes.  Exceptions include the V$ views that are
based in the control file, such as V$DATABASE, V$THREAD, V$DATAFILE, etc.
whose data is visible to all instances through the shared control files.  At
least, that is how it was done for 8/8i OPS ? I haven¹t verified whether 9i
RAC has found something more clever involving cache fusion and the
³block-shipping² processes or something.  The GV$ views did not exist in
Oracle7 and prior ? we had to write them custom.  Can anyone confirm or
correct about how 9iRAC displays GV$ info?

Still, although you can view SID and SERIAL# from across the cluster (though
GV$ views), you can only utilize them in ³DBMS_² package calls or from ALTER
SYSTEM KILL SESSION, etc. from the appropriate instance...

on 3/11/04 7:48 AM, Kommareddy, Srinivas (MED, Wissen Infotech) at