RE: RAC ASM 10.2.0.1.0 Solaris 9

  • From: Zabair Ahmed <roon987@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Kurth, Michael J." <mkurth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:25:54 +0000 (GMT)

Thks Mike,

  What am finding confusing is the following statement (from Oracle Clusterware
and Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2)
for Solaris OS - B14205-03),  page 3-13 Configuring Database File Storage on
ASM and Raw Devices.

  To use ASM with raw partitions, you must creatre sufficient partitions for
your data files, and then bind the partitions to raw devices.

  The question is how does  the sysadmin do this when all he has is 50GB of SAN
storage. I know this is more of unix question, but i can't get my head round
this. We are not using any LVM.

  Also i presume you have installed your ASM instance in it's own ORACLE_HOME.

  TIA

"Kurth, Michael J." <mkurth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      My environment is EVA8000 san running HPUX, where we configured 3 disk
groups.

  2 of them for staggering database files between 1 system and another, and the
3rd for
  backups and archived logs. In other words:

  diskgroup1    diskgroup2    diskgroup3
  ---------------     ---------------     ---------------

  database 1    database 2    backups/arch logs
  database 3    database 4
  database 5    database 6

  Mike Kurth
Senior Oracle DBA