Re: Queues

  • From: Job Miller <jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, joe_dba@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:51:23 -0700 (PDT)

use a queue when you want a publish-subscribe model.  (asynchronous)

if you try to code a mechanism for multiple processes to pluck messages off a
heap organized table, ensuring that no more than one process picks up each
message, you are recreating what a queue automatically does for you.

there are other use cases as well for automatic notification/invocation of
pl/sql upon arrival of a message in an asynchronous way that make queues
indispensable.

who told you that you needed a queue?

Job