Re: Question re Linux + Oracle

  • From: <nsouto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 07:01:52 +1000 (EST)

> The /var/lock/subsys/oracle file is a relict from the past, because with
>  the "checkconfig", it will stop the service even without that file
> being present. It used to work that way only in in Red Riding Hood v7.3
> and 8.0. That behavior was gone in RH 9 and later versions.

Thanks, Mladen.  I'm not so sure about it being a relic.
init 6 doesn't appear to do anything unless the lock file is
there.  Although of course checkconfig will start/stop Oracle,
init 6 still needs an indication of what to call for a stop/start
system reset. The lock file appears to be what tells it which
subsystems are running and how to call them, this sort of syntax:
</var/log/subsys/oracle> {start|stop}.

Interesting that Red Hat seems to be the only one using this.
Is checkconfig a specific Red Hat feature?

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx