RE: Question on LUN Sizes for storage migration

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <k3nnyp@xxxxxxxxx>, <ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 16:49:04 -0400

Good advice about developing a relationship with your storage team. Telling
them WHY things matter and the information you have to give ASM should help the
relationship.

Now, at the margin it is probably best to give ASM whole disk (or disk pairs or
triplets if you have external redundancy). If you carve disks up and present
them to ASM as different LUNs, then ASM does not have a way to understand that
two or more LUNs actually reside on a single spindle.

You’ve given us no idea of the underlying number of spindles making up these
LUNs. With recent storage densities the new ones could be fractional disks and
the old 90’s could be 10 9 GB disks in a stripe. If that is the case and we’re
talking spinning rust for all the devices, then your new LUNs will support far
fewer I/O operations per second per GB of storage. Of course if the old
bottleneck was the connection from the computer to the storage and the new LUNs
are connected by a much faster interface.

Okay, long winded again. Without knowing the whole stack of i/o from computer
memory to the persistent device before and after, a predictions for changes in
behavior cannot be made.

The changing size of a LUN presented to ASM is probably the least of your
worries. If someone carved up a 2 TB disk and presented it to you as 4 500GB
LUNS, now I’d be really worried about that. You absolutely do need to know the
components to tell ASM reasonable values for redundancy and recovery groups.

Good luck.

mwf