Potential for disaster

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 20:33:38 -0500

I was doing some destructive operations on my 12c test database:

SQL> alter session set container=cdb$root; Session altered. SQL> alter database pdborcl close immediate; alter database pdborcl close immediate * ERROR at line 1: ORA-01509: specified name 'PDBORCL' does not match actual 'ORCL' SQL> alter pluggable database pdborcl close immediate; Pluggable database altered.

In my opinion, the second statement should have been a syntax error. I shouldn't be allowed to close the root container by accident, even if I get everything wrong. In this case I have only forgotten the keyword "pluggable", but when I come to think of that, this is a bit scary.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA