Re: Possible Data Guard Issue

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 18:51:30 -0400

On 6/20/22 13:05, Scott Canaan wrote:

We are running Oracle 19.15 on Red Hat 7.

On Friday, one of my co-workers tried to convert the physical standby to a snapshot standby to use it to refresh another database.  He got an error saying more standby was needed in order to convert.  Looking into the alert log, there are messages saying that several files are “fuzzy”.  He re-established the data guard, but now the standby database says that all of the files are “fuzzy”.

DGMGRL> show configuration

Configuration - CLAWPRDA

  Protection Mode: MaxPerformance

  Members:

  CLAWPRDB - Primary database

    CLAWPRDA - Physical standby database

Fast-Start Failover:  Disabled

Configuration Status:

SUCCESS   (status updated 8 seconds ago)

DGMGRL> convert database 'CLAWPRDA' to snapshot standby;

Converting database "CLAWPRDA" to a Snapshot Standby database, please wait...

Error: ORA-38788: More standby database recovery is needed

Failed.

Failed to convert database "CLAWPRDA"

DGMGRL>

Hi Scott,

When in DGMGRL, what do "show database verbose CLAWPRDA" and "validate database CLAWPRDA" show? Any indications of the error in the alert.log on the standby side?

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant