Re: Ports in listener.log

  • From: Sherrie.Kubis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Bradd Piontek" <piontekdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:25:15 -0400

25-JUN-2008 13:49:20 *
(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=devdbs.ad.swfwmd.net)(SERVER=DEDICATED)(CID=(PROGRAM=c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe)(HOST=BKVVMIMS03P)(USER=JDOE)))
 * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.10.25.117)(PORT=1098)) * establish *
devdbs.ad.swfwmd.net * 0

I'm waiting to get with the sysadmin on the server to confirm that there is
not a tns entry over there, but it would be on 1522 if it was.

I'm trying to under (1) how would this connect from the .NET application
without a tnsnames entry, and (2) if it's not through tns, why are there
entries in my listener.log?

Sherrie Kubis
Oracle DBA Supervisor
Information Resources Department
Application Systems Section
Southwest Florida Water Management District
352-796-7211 x4033
mailto:Sherrie.Kubis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.watermatters.org

Good judgement comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

             "Bradd Piontek"
             <piontekdd@gmail.
                                       Sherrie.Kubis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             06/26/2008 01:04                                           cc
             PM                        oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Ports in listener.log

Do you have some example listener log entries?

Are you sure they are connecting on some other port and that the port is
not the port on the client ? Windows connects initially on the listener
port but than spawns a new thread which is on a different port each time.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 11:58 AM, <Sherrie.Kubis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Oracle 10.2.0.3
  HP-UX

  I have a 10.2 listener listening on port 1522, and see connections
  established using that. However, I also see connections coming in on
  other ports, that look like the increment by 1 each time. The connections
  are coming from a .net application on a windows server through IIS, and
  that server does not have a tns entry in tnsnames.ora. We removed it from
  there to specifically prevent connections to this database. Anyone have
  any idea how this could be happening?

  Sherrie Kubis
  Oracle DBA Supervisor
  Information Resources Department
  Application Systems Section
  Southwest Florida Water Management District
  352-796-7211 x4033
  mailto:Sherrie.Kubis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  http://www.watermatters.org

  Good judgement comes from experience,
  and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

  IMPORTANT NOTICE:  All E-mail sent to or from this address are public
  record and archived.  The Southwest Florida Water Management District
  does not allow use of District equipment and E-mail facilities for
  non-District business purposes.

--
Bradd Piontek
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/piontekdd
IMPORTANT NOTICE:  All E-mail sent to or from this address are public record
and archived.  The Southwest Florida Water Management District does not allow
use of District equipment and E-mail facilities for non-District business
purposes.

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image