RE: Partitioning Question (1 of several)

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:24:48 -0500

Well, I'm certainly not the partitioning expert, but I think what it's saying
is that if the index is partitioned differently from the table, then for index
access paths, they are eligible for partition pruning, even if said pruning is
not compatible with the table's partition scheme.  This makes sense, since the
index is global and partitioned, partition pruning can happen at index access
time, then whatever index access operation is dictated, then the requisite
table access by rowid to get any required data from the table.  Since it's a
global index, the rowids in the index entries from the index partition that was
utilized, may point to any table rows in any table partition.

-Mark