Re: PGA growing

  • From: Ian MacGregor <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <JDunn@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 07:21:34 -0800

What version of Oracle?  We had significant problems with PGA growth until
we applied the patchset to bring us  to 10.2.0.4.   For us finding the part
of the application involved was fairly easy as its performnce degraded as
memory became used.  We could stop that part of the application and upon
restart performance would be good until memory use went up.  The developers
went over their code for leaks and found none.  It did not matter how many
clients were using the application memory usage would increase.   I should
add that this piece was the only part written in Java.

I had compiled a test case for Oracle and was about to submit it, when the
opportuniity to apply the patchset arose.  I did so and the memory (PGA)
problems disappeared.  This database server is  a SUN Niagara box.

Ian MacGregor
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory