"Oracle's [multi-core] pricing ...simple and flexible"

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:51:36 -0400

"Oracle's pricing ...simple and flexible"

Can one say that with a straight face?
 ;o)

Anyway, not sure this is new info and how does this effect IBM (cpu) which has
been doing multi-core processors for a "long time" now?
Also [multi-core] pricing and SEo and SE confuses me?

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050715/sff014.html?.v=17
Oracle(R) Updates Multi-core Processor Pricing & Licensing Policy
Friday July 15, 11:15 am ET

"...working closely with our customers to address the recent advancements in
multi-core processors.
To meet these needs, Oracle is updating its licensing policy regarding
multi-core processors."

""Oracle will continue to recognize each core as a separate processor; however,
the processor definition has been amended as it relates to counting multi-core
chips
to determine the total number of processor licenses required."

"Oracle Standard Edition One or Standard Edition programs for use on a single
processor server containing a maximum of 2 cores shall be priced as a single
processor"
[TOTAL CONFUSED BY THIS ONE?...CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN IT TO ME]

"Oracle's policy regarding the licensing of dual core processors is published
online...at http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/sig.html.";

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA