RE: Oracle support for RHEL 6

  • From: Martin Brown <martinfbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle.tutorials@xxxxxxxxx>, <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 16:42:08 -0400

I just recently tried to put 11.2.0.1 client on OEL 6 in a virtualbox. Had a
heck of a time with packages. It ended up going in, very unstable and is really
OEL 5. So my experiment is over for now until I see it certified.

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 22:10:00 +0530
Subject: Re: Oracle support for RHEL 6
From: oracle.tutorials@xxxxxxxxx
To: mwf@xxxxxxxx
CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks to all for your valuable comments.

Mark,

Our product (application server) is supported on both distributed as well as
combo (same physical server) setup. Hence we have to consider various
compatibility options.

Something a little off topic I want to discuss.

Having Oracle Linux (OL) which is binary compatible with corresponding RHEL OS,
is it a good idea to adopt OL for non-Oracle environments as well?

Do you see any downsides to it? If there is no downside to using OL then in
which scenarios one must go with RHEL?

Deepak

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Mark W. Farnham <mwf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Other folks have answered your actual question. I’m curious about something
else: Is your licensing such that it makes sense to use cycles on the same
server? Or did I over interpret “same OS platform/server” and you just mean
having the machine the application server is on be the same release and OS as
another machine that is the db server?

Since the advent of relatively cheap and truly impressive LAN cards the early
1990’s need to place chatty application servers on the database server has been
reduced by several orders of magnitude. Combined with per cpu (or core, or
thread, or socket, or whatever term someone has invented in the last 15
minutes) license costs, it is probably unwise to use database server cpu cycles
on application servers.

Anyway, I would urge you to de-couple this artificial linkage when the
encapsulation is a network link. From a purely a priori position it seems
likely over time that there will be some OS revision that vastly improves
(usually meaning removes bugs) either the application server you’re using or
the database you’re using but is ahead of its counterpart in certifications.
You really only need to validate the communications protocols between the two.
As long as there is in house expertise, this frees you to even go with a
different OS and/or manufacturer for the application server and database
server. Over time there have often been sizeable cost/performance differences
between who was the winner in the application server space versus the database
server space. True, if you’re carving up a physical rack into virtual slices
you probably want it to be all one manufacturer in a given rack. But otherwise
you may gain a lot by removing this restriction.

Regards,

mwf