Re: Oracle standalone or Oracle RAC on VMWARE support

  • From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Ramírez Reyes <dramirezr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 08:58:38 -0800 (PST)

Thanks David for your input. Saw that inspite Oracle is not certifying but
found clients are using VMware instead of Oracle VM and Vmware also supports
such configuration for Oracle on their end.  Oracle says that it will only
support 11.2.0.2 or later and that too if they found the issue as already
reported bug on non-vmware setup. So is the reason to check with our Oracle
community to check for any experience. Your input surely help in getting
confidence that it is not an issue and rest ofcourse depend on
scenario/application type.

Tx
Sanjay

On Monday, January 6, 2014 10:40 AM, David Ramírez Reyes <dramirezr@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

We have all out environment on virtual servers using VMWARE (by company's
decisions, all servers are virtualized for cost reasons).

We have 11 production db, on 3 different servers, all working 24x7x365; we have
been on this schema for more than 8 years (with Oracle 8i first, now with
Oracle 11g R2)

Since I joined this company (about 3 years ago), I have been trying to convince
people around to change to physical servers for the same reason you mentioned
(Oracle is not Certified on Virtualized environments) and actually, when we
have requested Oracle support, that's the first thing they say as a first
"justification" of any problem.

But until now, I haven't found a convinced reason for this change; we have made
tests on physical environments and compare metrics, and there's no difference
(not even a little), I still not feel comfortable with this schema but I must
recognize it works and works fine.

Some of the "pros" is the cost of HW of course, but also the maintenance and
workarounds of OS, server configuration is also easier (Server Team can clone
the production server to a new host in less than 4 hours -a Server of 600 GB
size-)

On the "cons", am still not convinced about the functionality of parallelism,
split of datafiles, archivelogs and backups (at OS level they are seen
separated on different filesystems, but they are on a single physical
filesystem) and if you need to get some statistics of I/O or Network traffic,
it's kind of complicated, as resources are shared with other servers (we have
one physical server -CISCO- and about 5 virtual servers on it -DB, App and
Domain servers included on the list-

David Ramírez Reyes
Profesión: Padre de Familia