RE: Oracle call to SQL Server

  • From: "Bowes, Chris" <Chris.Bowes@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:00:17 -0400

That (win2k) is what I use, but it should still work for Unix or Sun.  What
you'll have to do is install an sqlnet setup on an NT/win2k box somewhere.
We were looking to do the same thing you are doing (talking to sql server
from Oracle on Unix), before we moved to our win2k boxes and Oracle's answer
was it will work once we got to 8i.  We had planned on installing the sqlnet
and transparent gateway on the sql server boxes that had the databases we
wanted to access.  We never went to 8i on Unix, we migrated to win2k and the
win2k transparent gateway works well.  Our reports run fine with it.  I am
sure it will work for Unix too.
Here is a snippet of a forum answer on metal link.  It says that is will
work, and provides some links to check out:

Hello,

Oracle database SERVER can reside on NT or Unix while the Oracle Transparent
Gateway is on NT and the following articles may assist you:

91340.1 Installing TG4MSQL - A Basic Approach
66003.1 TG4MSQL Configuration Files for NT Platform

Note that version 8.1.6 is desupported and should be using V8.1.7 or 9i to
be supported. The Gateway Availability Matrix is available at the URL
http://worldwide-marketing.us.oracle.com/gateways/ You can search MetaLink
for TG4MSQL you will find a lot of notes bulletins that will assist you with
your installation and configuration. You may be interested in
http://www.oracle.com/gateways/transparent/index.html
Additionally, you can search the Oracle Technology Network
(http://technet.oracle.com) for installations guides and other technical
information. You will need to be an OTN member, however, after you register
access is free and immediate.

Yes, the Oracle Networking components can be installed without the Server
components. Run the Oracle Installer and select the Oracle Networking
components which must be installed in a separate Oracle Home.

Thanks!
Kalpana
Oracle Technical Support

Hope this helps.