Oracle Design For Performance Question

  • From: Michael Cunningham <napacunningham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@freelists org" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 08:10:29 -0800

I have a question about designing a messaging app. The messaging app is
being moved to Oracle and receives around 20 million messages per day (231
per second avg). I'm not sure about the # of messages at peak time, but
let's assume 2000 per second.

Could this be done in a single Oracle 12c database? What do you suppose
would be hardware requirements?  Could SAS disk work or SSD disk required?
We may want HA as well so RAC may come up.

I've never designed a system with this high of throughput so please bombard
me with your feedback.

Also, I'm curious about scaling to 100 million messages per day.

Another option would be to have several databases accepting the data, but
then we have to be able to accept that a transaction committing data to 2+
databases may have a failure and the data consistency may be lost.
Thoughts?

--
Michael Cunningham