Re: Oracle DR Solution

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hemant.Chitale@xxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:21:43 +0100

I'd argue that stretch RAC could easily be seen as a DR solution, and that
replication solutions generally can also provide functioning DR. What I
didn't see from Sanjay is how DR is defined and what the requirements for DR
are. For example if the requirements are

We must within 5 days of loss of our single data centre be up and running
> again with data from the night before the failure on our core financial
> systems only.

Then an appropriate DR solution will be different from one dictated by

We must within 15 minute of loss of any single system defined in the list
> below be up and available again with zero data loss and constant service
> quality

Virtualization can also play a significant role in DR planning, in fact I'd
expect this to be how DR is typically done in the next 10 years or so.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA