RE: OS Question

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jheinrichdba@xxxxxxxxx>, <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:14:50 -0500

An important feature of note for having at least one of your little servers
as at least network support level (that's the one that was $99USD a year
when initially released and now is $119USD with inflation to date as of the
last time I renewed it) is the "up2date" feature, which specifically keeps
you abreast of the patches and rpm updates that Oracle thinks you should
have for the purpose of running Oracle technology plus any
security/bugfixes, etc. for the rest of what you decide to install and
register back with Oracle. Please see Oracle's official stuff online for the
exact details and take what I've written here as extreme approximation and
shorthand not for legal reliance.

Even if you are happily a Redhat support shop, getting up2date notification
for one server is a value not to be ignored.

Regards,

mwf

  _____